Rangers supporters have chosen their starting eleven

David Templeton, courtesy of David Rogers (Getty Images)

Last week, we asked readers to participate in a series of polls to determine who Rangers supporters wanted to see in their starting eleven.  Hundreds voted & you can see all of the results here – in the original post.

There were a few assumptions made to streamline the process.  The assumption was that Rangers would eventually line-up in a 4-4-2 -plus Cammy Bell, Lee Wallace, Nicky Law, Lewis MacLeod & Kris Boyd were automatically penciled into the lineup.

Fans voted on the remaining spots & here are the results:

Rangers - Football tactics and formations
Some observations from the voting:

  • The vote for right back was extremely close for a while between Richard Foster & Kyle McAusland.  But Foster received a late surge of votes & won with 41% of the vote, compared to McAusland’s 34%.  Sebastien Faure (14%) & Arnold Peralta (11%) rounded out the voting for right back.
  • We asked readers to vote on two center-backs & Darren McGregor (35%) & Marius Zaliukas (43%) combined to receive 78% of the vote.  Bilel Mohsni recieved 9%, while Lee McCulloch only was chosen by 7% of the readers.
  • The vote for the two midfielders to join Law & MacLeod was a little closer.  David Templeton (30%) & Ian Black  (20%) combined for 50% of the vote, as readers were more spread out in their opinion here.  Fraser Aird just missed out with 16% of the vote.  Others of note would be – Dean Shiels only being chosen by 3% of the readers & Kyle Hutton by 1%.  Besides Templeton & Black, nine other midfielders received votes as the club has stockpiled a plethora of options in midfield.
  • The vote to line up alongside Kris Boyd was not-surprisingly pretty clear cut.  Kenny Miller received 80% of the votes, with Nicky Clark being next with 13%.  Calum Gallagher (5%) & Jon Daly (2%) round out the fans preferred depth chart.

If Ally McCoist does return to a 4-4-2, this would be a logical line-up.  However, it goes to prove Lee McCulloch’s impact on the lineup.  If McCoist continues to stick with his captain – a player like Darren McGregor or David Templeton would likely take a backseat.  Either way, that would be a lot of quickness & pace taken out of the starting eleven to cater to McCulloch.

Ally McCoist, courtesy of David Rogers (Getty Images)

 

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Rangers supporters have chosen their starting eleven

  1. We should be looking for a new manager and coaching team now. There has to be young up and coming quality 21st century coaches in the lower leagues in England. The managers that Liverpool and Everton have picked up is testament to this. McCoist will take us nowhere. All he risks doing is losing his ‘legend’ status that he deservedly gained as a player.

    Like

  2. The team will always be set up to include McCulloch. be it a 4-4-2 or the new 3-5-2 formation were playing McCoist will always find a place for him. he is literally undroppable

    Like

  3. After 5 games this season, the conclusion that there is little or no direction coming from the dugout. Ally should go before his legend tag is tarnished beyond repair

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s