written by – Rangers Report
The size of the circle reflects the total of Expected Goals for each player.
- As you can see through the visual & the data, the best chances were coming from the three attacking players – with Kenny Miller leading the way with 0.88 Expected Goals. Miller, Martyn Waghorn & Barrie McKay accounted for 70% of the team’s total xG.
- Again, the secondary scoring was provided by Jason Holt, whose goal broke open the match on Saturday, & once again was creating high quality chances from dangerous areas.
The above graph features shots along the vertical axis & xG per shot runs along the horizontal. The larger the circle, the greater the total xG.
- The objective here is to see which players were getting the most dangerous shots on goal, whether through a high volume of shots or through isolated chances.
- You can see that the average is just over three shots & a 0.16 xG per shot. This signifies the average shot in this match came just shy of the probability rate that accompanies High Danger shots (0.19).
- This really highlights the effectiveness of Kenny Miller in this game. Both his shot totals & xG per shot were higher than average for the game. Expected goals have not been an issue for him of late – but finishing sure has. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see more goals in the near future for Miller whose stats suggest he has been overdue to score for a while now.
- While Jason Holt & Gedion Zelalem only combined for three shots – those shots were coming from High Danger areas. This is an area that Zelalem needs to improve in, as we discussed in a post on Friday. It was only one shot for Zelalem but it was good to see him push a little further up after initially establishing so much of the play in the final third.
- It was a bit strange to see Martyn Waghorn have a low Expected Goals per shot total, given he leads the league in shots from High/Very High Danger areas. However, in this game five of his six shots came from outside the box. How much of this was Waghorn simply taking what the defence gave him or was it a byproduct to ceding the striker role to Miller?
You can follow Rangers Report on Twitter @TheGersReport