Rangers 3-1 Morton: The Alternative Match Report

Kenny Miller, courtesy of Skysports

Written by – Jamie Currie


Rangers won again – this time coming from one down to beat Morton 3-1 at Ibrox. And, as usual, it was Rangers doing all the early attacking. McKay and Wallace combined down the left-hand side, but Wallace’s cross was kneed inches past the post by Jason Holt. However, against the run of play, it would be Morton who took the lead. Bobby Barr, a constant thorn in Rangers’ side this season, saw his long-range effort palmed away by Wes Foderingham, but the keeper could only lie on the deck and watch his save rebound off Denny Johnstone and trickle into the back of the net. Rangers would equalise before half-time as James Tavernier’s superb whipped corner was headed home at the front post by Kenny Miller. In the second half, Rangers continued where they left off in the latter part of the first and Kenny Miller was on hand to grab his second goal and fire a magnificent shot beyond Gaston after another flowing move from the left. Denny Johnstone forced Foderingham into a sprawling save, but it would be another move down the left that would clinch the points for Rangers – this time it was Lee Wallace who caressed the ball left-footed beyond Gaston. There was still time for Miller to be denied his hat-trick by the offside flag.


Kenny Miller

A superb all-round performance coupled with two well-taken goals and he was unlucky not to get a hat-trick on the night.


Mark Warburton praised Kenny Miller on his two-goal display: “It was a tremendous goal, tremendous timing and great technique, so delighted for Kenny.

“We knew at half time what we had to do, we had to step up a couple of gears and we did that.

“It was two tremendous finishes [from Kenny] and Lee Wallace’s as well, great composure, another goal for him so all credit to the team.”


The three goals in this game meant Rangers have hit 60 goals at Ibrox this in all competitions.


Kenny Miller’s goal before the interval because it seemed to deflate Morton.


  • This Rangers side has a habit of scoring goals at the perfect times, and this was no different. Rangers were a bit ropey after Morton took the lead but Miller’s two goals either side of half-time made sure there would be no chance of Morton taking any points from this one.
  • Forrester being replaced by Shiels at half-time saw Warburton pull off a tactical masterstroke. Holt and Shiels would take it in turns to take up the left-back position allowing Lee Wallace to move higher into an inside-left position and it was a move that paid dividends. Morton couldn’t cope with Wallace playing higher and they often failed to pick up Holt or Shiels’ runs from the left-back area.
  • There was no focal point to the side in this game. McKay would stay widest of the three attacking players, and Miller and O’Halloran would interchange. Miller started in the false nine position – he dropped deeper and that allowed the likes of Holt and Shiels to invade the space that Miller vacated. O’Halloran had spell playing there in the second half, but he didn’t have his best game. Billy King was much more effective.
  • Danny Wilson had to switch his role in defence because Dom Ball came in to replace Rob Kiernan. Wilson had to be the more dominant of the centre-halves and Ball was doing the job of dropping off and sweeping up any flick-ons. Both played very well and looked solid throughout.



First goal: Kenny Miller
Second goal: Kenny Miller
Third goal: Lee Wallace


from BBC
from BBC




Away to Falkirk on Friday night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s